“Beauty and ingenuity have persuasive power.” -Denise Domergue, Founder and Creative Director
Made Out of WHAT is a non-profit organization founded to raise awareness about the challenge of industrial and consumer waste by showcasing brilliant, practical solutions from artists and designers around the world. Our goals are to help accelerate the movement toward adaptive re-use; encourage sustainable innovation and pro-environmental values which foster zero-waste communities; and promote the circular economy.
Through exhibitions, videos, films, educational workshops, and multiple social media platforms, we will broadcast true stories of committed human ingenuity and skill found today in design and art from around the world. We will catalyze creative thinking and action by revealing the endless opportunities for community uplift and sustainable entrepreneurship embedded in the ubiquitous ready-to-use detritus of the 21st century.
- researching and identifying of global artists, designers, and craftspeople working in the area of adaptive reuse
- growing our digital archive of innovators, their models and methodologies
- sharing and showcasing the narratives through:
- gallery exhibitions
- international conferences and design fairs
- short video documentaries
- print media
- multiple social media platforms
- educational workshops
- highlight at least one artist every month on the MOoW website in a video interview
- provide a monthly newsletter capturing positive developments from around the world
- collaborate with educators to create workshops for children
- maintain an online store where a nominal percentage of each sale helps fund the organization
- cultivate cross-sector collaborations which involve thought-leaders from art, design, sociology, economics, environmentalism, and popular culture
Board of Directors
- Denise Domergue – Founder and President, is also the organization’s Creative Director. Support staff include communications professionals, researchers, videographers, and development consultants. In addition to Domergue, the Board of Directors includes:
- Michael Hoffman, CPA – Chief Financial Officer
- Rebecca Yates – Secretary and nonprofit development professional
- Renee Petropoulos – professional artist and professor at Otis College of Art and Design
International Advisory Council
- Maria Cecilia Loschiavo, Professor of Design, School of Architecture & Urbanism, University of São Paulo, Brazil
- Linda Hooper, Executive Director of The Samburu Project (TSP), a non-profit organization based in California, focused on drilling wells in the Samburu District of Kenya to provide water and enable self-sufficiency
- Luanne McKinnon, PhD, former director, University of New Mexico Art Museum, Director of the Cornell Fine Arts Museum, Rollins College
- Tanya Tull, ScD, a social entrepreneur and Senior Fellow at the UCLA Luskin School of Public Affairs and at Ashoka, the global association of the world’s leading social entrepreneur
- Cindy Ojeda, Director of Finance at Art Division since 2010, a non-profit organization that offers in-depth training to under-served Los Angeles youth dedicated to a career in the visual arts. Formerly, Project Manager at Track 16 Gallery/Smart Art Press in Santa Monica from 1999-2009.
Tell me again, what is Made Out of WHAT?
Made Out of WHAT is a non-profit organization founded to raise awareness about the challenge of industrial and consumer waste by showcasing brilliant, practical solutions from artists and designers around the world. Our goals are to help accelerate the movement toward adaptive re-use; to encourage sustainable innovation and pro-environmental values which foster zero-waste communities; and to promote the circular economy.
How do you do all that?
MOoW promotes its message through a website, a digital archive, events, gallery and museum exhibitions, international conferences and design fairs, video and film, print media, and multiple social media platforms.
When was MOoW incorporated?
Made Out of WHAT is a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) California corporation incorporated in 2016.
MOoW's official Instagram is @madeoutofwhat, with 21.8k followers as of October 2017.
Who founded MOoW?
Denise Domergue, a cultural visionary who honed her skills as a conservator of contemporary art, author, editor, and independent curator.
Where is MOoW's main office located?
Venice, California, USA
How does MOoW fund its operations?
Sponsorships, partnerships, grants, and donations
How can I help?
Donate, participate or purchase. Volunteers welcome! MOoW always wants to know about qualified and enthusiastic intern candidates. And you can support MOoW by shopping at our online store, which supports both the artists and the organization.
I make cool things from discarded objects. How can I share my work with you?
You’ll find an easy online intake form here. Show us what you’re doing!
How you can get involved...
Help keep our dream alive by sending your support via the DONATE link at the bottom of this page, or by writing a check addressed to Made Out of What, 1725 Abbot Kinney Blvd, Venice, California 90291.
*Note Made Out of WHAT is a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) California corporation, so every penny you give is fully deductible.
Want to be a part of the solution? Volunteers are always welcome! MOoW always wants to know about qualified and enthusiastic intern candidates for future event opportunities.